"Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself."
Henry Miller
A plate of Carbonara and a bottle of Zin? I know that you might ask why I find happiness in something so simple. Actually, Carbonara is not simple (just ask my husband) but the way he makes it brings my stomach much happiness. It is comfort food for me. Two nights ago, he prepared us a magnificent meal and opened a wonderful bottle of Zinfandel (Beringer). Now, both of us have a complete weakness for good wine and I have a complete weakness for him so it turned out to be a pretty good evening. Later that night, I found another morsel of happiness....hearing my 8 year old sing (hum mostly) both the national anthem and the fight song for the University of Alabama while he was soaking in the bathtub. He is not Montgomery Boy's Choir material, and I don't expect him to get a recording contract anytime soon- but to me it was the sweetest sound.
Now I have been guilty several times in my life, for looking far and wide for happiness and comfort. Running toward something, thinking that life would only be better IF. I believe that we all do that sometimes. I tend to be a little A.D.D. (Attention Deficit Disorder for those not familiar) and if gratification is not immediate, my mind wanders off in another direction. This makes for a life filled with disorder. After 45 years of this, maybe I am finally "getting it". Now I can find happiness in having a good meal at home with my family and enjoying the wonderful sounds of the "bathtub opera" as performed by an 8 year old. Don't get me wrong, I have always been happy with my family..but have not slowed down enough to really enjoy them.
"Seek not happiness too greedily, and be not fearful of happiness" Lao-Tzu
A friend of mine became a father today. At the same time, another friend of mine was given custody of her grandchild while at the same time, having to make a very tough decision about her daughter. Life changes so quickly....in an instant we can go from great joy, to deep pain. Personally, I am tired of trying so very hard to seek happiness and success. I have wonderful friends, a loving family, great kids -not much money, but the ability to get what I need. To my friend with the new baby girl...I can only say, cherish every moment, good or bad. To my friend with the new grand baby in the house and daughter troubles, I could say things will get better or "everything works out for the best" but all of that seems so cliche and I know it really doesn't help much at the moment. It is true though, life tends to take care of itself and we (hopefully)learn from everything we experience.
Tears mean everything
Laughter means everything
"Experience is everything"
I intend to look at all things a little differently. I said "I intend to" and I am not making any promises. For now I will enjoy another glass of good wine, a huge heaping plate of Carbonara, writing, and looking for beauty through my camera. The rest will fall into place I am sure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment